Thursday, July 3, 2008

My experience with a Jyotishi

While strolling in Big Bazzar in Mumbai I read a board saying "Have your hand read by an astrologer for free".
"for free", eh? yeah, that's one of the offers they were making on their anniversary. Had it been some other week (guess what, they were celebrating the whole week as their anniversary, isn't that something nice for the customers) I like any youngster would have given a who-gives-a-damn look, but the "for free" in bolds caught the eye of my wallet.

I proceeded towards the astrologer who was in his mid 40's wearing an almost unsaid dress code consisting of a saffron turban and a white kurta-payajama with a long red tilak on the forehead. I can tell you that he was the one who was giving the who-gives-a-damn look to the coming junta awaiting for their hands to be read, yeah "for free". I sat infront of him after the person sitting before me stood up rather in a state of euphoria, as he was told by the jyotishi that he will be spending his major part of life in foreign. So, I sat in front of him. He gave a long look to my face. Was he a face reader or a hand reader ?

Jyotishi :"..You, a student?.."

Me : "..Yes.."
(well, hell I am a student, I do not look old enough to be doing a job)

Jyotishi (closing his eyes for some moments after looking into my hand) :"..You have recently met with a real fatal accident...It could have taken away your life.."

Me : "..huh.."
( I must say I was startled. I met with this accident some 5-6 years ago, boy oh boy that accident is still clear in my mind although they say you are in a state of post-accident trauma after such an incident and you don't remember what happened to you or rather, you don't want to remember. I was going on my bicycle, (dare you say "ahh, bicycle accident only!". I mean, if you said that you ought to be in my place at that time). While trying to save myself being hit by a vehicle I lost balance, fell flat and instead hit my forehead with a concrete corner. There was blood, I mean, a lot of it. I was stitched like a torn bag, with as many as 12 stitches and that left a scar on my left forehead. Doctors said that was a major accident which could have turned fatal if time was not on our side.)

Jyotishi (after looking at my gaze turning to a fade) : "..You will have a lot of money.."

Me : "..ohh.."
(Money honey, is the only saught after things these days. If you have money, you have, guessed right, everything. It engrossed me.)

Jyotishi : "...And about your studies, you don't get rewarded according to your hardwork. You no doubt kill your sleep, do everything, but you don't get desired results..."

Me : "...ohh yes..."
(BINGO, that's what the aching sad story of a student is. That's where if you hit, it hurts the most. Whatever, I believed what he said now. I ruined my sleep, I ate less and drank more (for obvious reasons), I woke up till 3 in morning, or may be afterall, I didn't get sleep because of my exams. And all that in vain. I thought of getting atleast 9 gpa and ended up with a mere 6! Can you believe it? I don't remember when did I last score as my expectation. Oh hell, I am having a bad memory now!)

Jyotishi : "...this is because of the Rahu sitting in Shani. He's doing everything..."

Me ( I wanted to say "No, its me who is doing Everything. I am sure Rahu doesn't have any idea about Chebyshev Inequality, or Hilbert transformation or RISC-CISC or for that matter anything related to 3rd sem engineering courses" but I managed to say ): ".. I see.."

Jyotishi : "..See if you want to convert your efforts into results, there is a way. I can give you a shrine to wear. It will turn your results upside down.."

Me : "..Yeah sure.." (I screamed "give it to me" in my mind, visualizing 6 turning literlly upside down to 9)

Jyotishi : "..Here you are. Merely Rs. 500/=.."

Me (AHA.. there you are) : "..Rs. 500/= !!. I don't have that much amount right now.. "

Jyotishi
: "..Don't worry son. Here, have my card. Do turn up in my office anytime in the morning. Ok?.."

Me : "..Sure I Will!!.." ( professional publicity, huh?)

I came thinking about the whole conversation in my mind.
"
fatal accident", that left a scar on my left forehead. A scar!! Hell Yes, that's why he would have guessed as a result of a long gaze into my face! And, that money thing? I am sure, that was just to get me engaged in his talk. "Studing not rewarded". Studies or any endeavour for that matter, human mind is made in such a way that it is never complacent of what it achieves and often falls for the greener grass on the other side. Some of us might think they are complacent but the thing is human mind works on the principle of "No one can eat just one" (sorry for plagiarism) and thus wants more. Nothing is ever enough. Well that concludes my experience with a jyotishi, with a new zeal to achieve my goals with or without Rahu on my side.

PS : the events in this post are more real than the facts in it themselves.

PPS : Thank you for leaving your comments ;)

13 comments:

fa2 said...

Hey boy good one...that rahu and shani paragraph was lolmaxx..
couldn't stop my laugh and that lead all office colleagues giving me a stare :)

Siddharth Kabra said...

thanx :)

Vailina said...

i surely think that this incident must be an eye opener for u as i personally dont believe in these thing they r merely tricks to earn these days

Siddharth Kabra said...

@vailina
thanx for the comment..
Hey..But as I said the "for free" caught me..
behti ganga mai haath dhone mai koi problem nahi hai.. :)

Nikhil Goyal said...

bhaiya....ye post bahut hi achi hai.....is post ke baad mujhe sid ne apni cpi batai......pheli baar.....

Siddharth Kabra said...

@niks
thanx for the comment bro..
woh to maine post mai bhi batayi hai yaar...tune padha nahi ;)

Piyush said...

you know now you can sue astrologer if his prediction turns out to be incorrect..[but Sad that thats in england]

Siddharth Kabra said...

@ piyush
thanx a zillion for the advice, but alas, no evidence dude for any such conversation. :(

meanwhile, u better pray for it being correct.

jdot said...

Hey,u write well dude!
Glad u started a blog!

amit

Siddharth Kabra said...

@amit
Thanx :)

Abhiraj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abhiraj said...

Hey Buddy,

This is awesome... this post remind me of a very nice movie "Bhul Bhulayia". The subject is that movie is also one like this.

We(I mean we indians) really need to get out of these fake jyotishis (pakhandis) and need to start working to get things in our favor.

But this post is really gud.. keep writing... u write well

CHEERS!
-Abhiraj Chauhan

Tanu said...

kwel yar......vry well written....continue writin dese kindaa 'enjoyable' stuffs.....hehe.....cheers :)